How do you know what to reference?
When to Cite
- Cite when you are directly quoting. This is the easiest rule to understand.
- Cite when you are summarizing and paraphrasing.
- Cite when you are citing something that is highly debatable.
- Don’t cite when what you are saying is your own insight.
- Don’t cite when you are stating common knowledge.
How do you quote from a website?
Citation Guide: How to cite WEBSITES Provide the website name (without italics) in the source element. Include a period after the website name, followed by the URL. When the author of the work is the same as the website name, omit the site name from the source element to avoid repetition.
How do you cite the Qur an?
An in-text citation for the Quran should include the number of chapter and the of the verse. The Chapter name does not need to be included because you are providing the chapter number. An example of such a citation would look like this: (The Qur’an,15:25), with 15 being the chapter and 25 being the verse.
How do you cite in Chicago style example?
Author last name, first name. Year. “Title of Article.” Name of Publication, month date, year. URL if applicable.
How do you reference in-text?
For every in-text citation in your paper, there must be a corresponding entry in your reference list. APA in-text citation style uses the author’s last name and the year of publication, for example: (Field, 2005). For direct quotations, include the page number as well, for example: (Field, 2005, p. 14).
How do you reference in-text Harvard style?
An in-text citation should appear wherever you quote or paraphrase a source in your writing, pointing your reader to the full reference. In Harvard style, citations appear in brackets in the text. An in-text citation consists of the last name of the author, the year of publication, and a page number if relevant.
Why do we need to reference sources?
Citing or documenting the sources used in your research serves three purposes: It gives proper credit to the authors of the words or ideas that you incorporated into your paper. Citing your sources consistently and accurately helps you avoid committing plagiarism in your writing.
What do I reference in an essay?
It is important to provide correct references for any information which you give in your essay. Information could include ideas, facts, phrases, or anything else.
How do you use the Harvard Referencing System?
A Harvard reference list must:
- Be on a separate sheet at the end of the document.
- Be organised alphabetically by author, unless there is no author then it is ordered by the source title, excluding articles such as a, an or the.
- Be double spaced: there should be a full, blank line of space between each line of text.
What are some examples of sentence starters for in-text citations?
The following are some sentence starters that you could use in order to cite any direct lines you use:
- According to (name of article or writer) , “….”
- (Name of person or article) states/said/wrote, “….”
- (Name of person) , from/in (Name of article/organization) , says/said/writes, “…”
How do you cite the Quran in a bibliography?
The Correct Format for Quran MLA Citation
- For the Quran MLA citation, you add opening and closing parenthesis after the phrase you are citing. Within the parenthesis, you include the name of the Quran followed by a comma.
- When quoting the Quran; for the bibliography, you should add the title of the Quran in italics.